Death at Locus Workspace, or Coworking is Awesome

I recently got back to Prague and Locus Workspace after more than 2 weeks in Santa Monica, California. We didn’t get in until about 22:00 and the time difference is 9 hours. I couldn’t sleep. Finally gave up trying and went to Locus at about 7am, Wednesday morning. There was what appeared to be police tape on the entrance to the space, with the sign, ZÁKAZ VSTUPU (DO NOT ENTER).

I went in anyway, with my heart pounding a little with fear about what I might find. Nothing looked weird until I got to my desk.

There was police chalk outlining a body on the floor. My mind started racing.
There was a sheet of paper on my desk from the police.
The last line in big letters says, “This property is closed.”
Huge adrenalin rush as my mind started racing. Can this be real? Wouldn’t someone have called me!? Did it just happen? Should I call the police and ask? Should I call my wife and get a clear headed opinion? Shouldn’t I get the h*ll out of here? Am I going to have to close the business? Was someone killed? Who? (Yes, it’s a little disturbing that concern about who might have been killed didn’t occur to me until all the petty self-interested thoughts had worn themselves out.)
I decided to read the small print on the paper. Each line was a different legal code violation.
The first violation was for keeping farm animals on the premises and the second for food violations. Okay, this cannot be real. Wouldn’t someone being killed top the list. But what if it is real!! A four leaf clover cannot be part of the Czech Police logo, can it (we’re not in Ireland after all)? 
I decided the reasons listed for closing the space were absurd enough (farm animals!?) that I would at least be justified in ignoring it all and getting to work even if someone was murdered there. So I cleaned up the chalk and turned on my computer, adrenalin still rushing and heart still pounding, until about 1/2 hour later when there was a key in the door. It’s too early for members. Are the police here?
A Locus member! And no hesitation going right to a desk. “You just walked right in?”
“Sure, why not.”
“The police tape on the front door!?”
“I don’t know anything about it.” Smile.
Finally, I could relax. Clearly a prank on Will.
A little bit later and another member came in and showed me the “bloody” steak knife I hadn’t discovered under the desk next to the body.
More than two weeks away with the members managing the workspace themselves, no calamities, no calls with complaints, and energy left over to put in some hard work to “welcome” me home!
You have to love coworking!
Thanks, Locus Workspace Members, for the warmest welcome I’ve had in a long time (and I mean that)!
PS: The “police tape” was basic construction tape, the “bloody” knife was covered with dried ketchup, the Czech Police logo really does look like that, and the “police chalk” was your basic sidewalk chalk and cleaned right up.

Join the Locus Meetup group to be informed about events at Locus!

Keep up with Locus Workspace events: Join our new Locus Event Meetup Group. Locus hosts a number of events of interest to the freelance community, most of them free, including talks about accounting, marketing, how to stop procrastinating, as well as just entertaining events like movie night and Texas Holdem Poker night. The best way to keep up with this information is by joining our Meetup group, which is solely focused on organizing Locus events.

Nezmeškejte žádnou akci pořádanou Locus Workspace! Přidejte se k naší nové skupině „Locus Event Meetup“, kde najdete informace o všech chystaných akcích. Locus pořádá četná zajímavá setkání, většina z nich je zdarma, včetně přednášek o účetnictví, marketingu nebo třeba o tom, jak se vyvarovat tolik zmiňované prokrastinaci během práce na volné noze. Stejně tak ale máme na programu i čistě odpočinkové a zábavné večery, například filmový večer nebo posledně velmi vydařenou pokerovou noc. Takže neváhejte a přidejte se, ať vám žádná budoucí akce neuteče!

As online communities grow, offline communities shrink, and we need the latter for psychological health

There’s a short New York Times op-ed by Charles Blow out June 11th about the importance of “real live” social connectedness for healthy psychological development, and in turn about the longitudinal changes that have made such social connections less common. The op-ed itself isn’t that interesting, but it points the reader to some scientific research and reports that are, including two studies by Pew documenting the increase in (live) social isolation alongside the increase in Internet and social networking websites (1, 2), and one study by researchers at U. Michigan showing a drop in empathy among college students increasing most dramatically as of the year 2000.

This isn’t convincing proof to me of Blow’s main argument (that we’ll be healthier with more live, in person social connections). After all, the two Pew studies are simply documenting the decreasing social connectedness that has been going on for a long time. Consider Robert Putnam’s famous *Bowling Alone*, which documented America’s decreasing social connectedness since the 1950s. A lot of reasonable and compelling arguments could be made that the Internet is actually providing a solution to the societal problem of growing individualism and shrinking community that long preceded it: the Internet (and associated social networking tools) allows people to connect once again and to the kinds of people we’d really want to connect to in a way you can’t when you’re largely constrained by social proximity as in the non-virtual world (for an extended argument on this point, see Seth Godin’s book Tribes). The study by U. Mich. researchers lends support to the idea that growing virtual connectedness might be associated with less psychological health, given the year of the most profound drop in empathy (2000) and its coincidental timing with the rise of virtual social networks. But that could easily be a chance correlation or just indicate biases in the study authors’ own measurement standards from one time to the other.

All that said, the growth of such movements like jellies and coworking, but also many other movements in the urban/mobile/anonymous worlds many of us live in to increase live social connectedness (meetups, barcamps, reading groups, etc.) suggests, anecdotally at least, that physical human connections are essential to psychological well-being. And this isn’t news to psychologists. Harry Harlow’s famous research on Rhesus monkeys demonstrated relatively unambiguously the need for physical connectedness to something even slightly nurturing. Jim Coan and colleagues more recent research (here’s the friendlier New York Times version) on the decreased stress response that comes from merely holding a loved one’s hand, and John Cacioppo’s ongoing work on the association between loneliness and physiological health (e.g., here) provide more compelling examples.

Whether we realize it or not, most of us need real-world physical connectedness for both psychological and physical well being. In my view that’s no small part of the reason coworking spaces are popping up all over the place serving the independent worker community.